Home / News / Useful materials /

Studying in Poland 2020: how to get admitted to a university in Poland by yourself

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (12 stars, mean: 5.00 from 5)

Studying abroad is no longer a dream, but a reality even for Indian students. Especially, when it comes to studying in Poland.

On the one hand, studying in Poland is the easiest and safest opportunity for Indian students. But on the other hand, diplomatic relations in the sphere of education between India and Poland give lots of advantages for them. And it’s not just the opportunity to study in Poland for free in case a Indian student meets particular admission requirements, but also the simplicity of admission to universities and tertiary schools of Poland.

Almost every second Indian school graduate, probably, thinks about the ways of admission to a university in Poland, as it is the easiest and cheapest way to get a prestigious European education. It is actually real to become a student of a university in Poland without any help and with no extra money paid! In this article HindustanEducation.Com is going to explain how to do that.


After you choose a university in Poland in our catalogue (by specialization or city) or on the recommendation of your acquaintances, you should necessarily learn all information you need for admission, which can be found on its official website. This information includes not only areas of study suggested in Poland and their prices, but also maximum contacts details of admission department and others (rector’s office, department supporting Indian students etc).

Then, prepare the below-mentioned documents necessary for submission:

  • Filled in admission application (an application form can be found on university web pages).
  • Filled in personal questionnaire (a questionnaire form can also be found on university web pages). Be careful when filling in the fields, including your phone number with a country code.
  • Scan of documents confirming education obtained in India (certificate of complete secondary education, diploma and their supplements).
  • Scan of a valid foreign passport.
  • Certificate confirming the knowledge of a foreign language selected for studying in Poland. A certificate may be issued by a language courses agency and it doesn’t have to be state-recognized. If you don’t have such document and you choose Polish, you can have an interview by Skype and get a confirmation that your level of knowledge enables you to study in Polish. There is also an opportunity to attend summer Polish courses conducted by universities.
  • Scan of a valid Card of the Pole (Karta Polaka) if applicable, especially for those who want to study in Poland for free.

Important. Representatives of universities in Poland that evaluate whether Indian students meet the requirements for admission require only scanned copies of your documents, so you don’t have to worry about sending original documents. Basically, these copies are only necessary to confirm that a candidate has all documents. You will have to provide the original documents to the admission department once you arrive to Poland for studying.


Since documents received from those who want to study in Poland are checked by employees of the Indian students department, in other words humans, you shouldn’t wait for the immediate response. The university can receive a great deal of applications similar to yours.

On average, the process of candidate evaluation by the admission department takes 1 to 10 days. But this doesn’t mean you have you to keep silent while waiting. Remind them about yourself in 3-4 days, so you can make sure the university received your documents and application.

Universities in Poland usually send an e-mail confirmation to an Indian candidate saying that his/her documents were received for the process of admission (or they give it to them if they personally provide documents). However, this confirmation doesn’t guarantee that you were admitted to a university in Poland. But when you get it, you can start preparing for admission. This means you have to translate documents, make an apostille and a medical certificate, which are required to start studying in Poland.

To do this you should ask an employee of the admission department about a kind of translation required for their university (translation made only by a Polish translator or it can be made in India). You should also clarify some other details, such as: when to reserve a dormitory, if any, what is the price for living there, are there any additional payments for Indian students (except for the cost of the selected course) etc.

In case you feel unconfident when speaking Polish, you can ask contact details of English-speaking employees of the admission department. Each university in Poland always has people that speak English, since studying in Poland is in great demand among foreigners due to its availability; this especially includes study programmes conducted in English.


Since confirmation received after accepting you documents by the admission department doesn’t guarantee your admission, you should move on to the next stage – pay tuition fees in a university in Poland.

If documents for studying in Poland were submitted distantly via the Internet, you should keep in mind that the admission department doesn’t have to send you a bill for tuition fee with the confirmation. In most cases payment details of a university are specified on its official website. But before paying, make sure they are changed since the last information update.

It will be better for you to remind them sending you a personal bill with your surname according to the foreign passport and cost of application fee (obligatory payment for registration in the Electronic Student Registration System) to your e-mail address. In addition, some banks require such bills to pay tuition fees.

There are sometimes periods of discounts, when you don’t have to pay application fee. So keep track of discounts in the specific university on its website.

According to the Visa Code the reason for issuing an annual national study visa in Poland is payment for a year of studying by an Indian student.

It is also necessary to pay attention to the fact that universities in Poland sometimes specify the validity period in the bill. These might be requirements of accountants, but in most cases this principle works for bills issued to pay tuition fees in a university in Poland at a special-offer price. So try to pay in time.

If you want to pay tuition fees in Poland through the bank, you have to have all documents that you received in the e-mail from the Polish university: contract, if applicable, bill for tuition fees, decision about accepting to the admission process, valid foreign passport, national passport, the whole amount of tuition fees in a university of Poland.


After you paid tuition fees in a university of Poland, be sure to notify employees of the admission department of a university in Poland about that (via e-mail). As soon as a university in Poland receives money to its account, it will send you an invitation (decision about your admission) to your postal/e-mail address specified in the personal questionnaire.

  • ZAŚWIADCZENIE o rekrutacji cudzoziemka na studia – for first-year students;
  • ZAŚWIADCZENIE o kontynuowaniu przez cudzoziemca studiow – for second-year students.

Although, it is likely that you will have to remind them about yourself again, because to get a student visa you need an admission certificate (original) in a form approved by the Order of the Ministry of Education of Poland. That’s why check whether your data is correct when receiving an admission confirmation.

Important. Each university establishes its deadlines for Indian students for submission of original documents to the admission department. So, be careful. Usually documents are accepted until 30.08 or 15.09. Some universities enable students to submit original documents before the beginning of the academic year (until 01.10 in Poland). There are also several period for acceptance of documents for admission to a university in Poland.

By this time Indian students have to prepare and submit all original documents with translations (as well as their copies) to the department supporting Indian students. To get translation of documents from a Polish translator, you have to coordinate the time limits for this in advance.

Indian students should keep in mind: don’t put away for the last day. Translators are very busy during the period of admission to universities of Poland, so they can charge you a double tariff, or even be unable to translate your documents on time. If you don’t know how to do this yourself being in India, contact us: at telephone number +38 050 93 08 723 or by e-mail info.kudapostupat@gmail.com and we will help you.

Once you receive an original of “ZAŚWIADCZENIE o rekrutacji cudzoziemca na studia” and translate all documents, you will also have to register in order to submit them to the embassy in India. To do this an Indian student has to have the following list of documents: original and copy of a foreign passport, original and copy of a national passport, decision of a university about your admission, receipt about paying tuition fees, two photos, personal questionnaire for a national visa, original and copy of a certificate of insurance, receipt about paying for insurance.


As soon as you get a student visa, you should prepare files with all necessary documents required for an Indian student to study in Poland based on the below-mentioned list:

  1. Application for admission.
  2. Personal questionnaire.
  3. Apostilled certificate of basic secondary education (original and copy).

Prospective Indian students submitting an application for admission to the Master programme in Poland have to provide a diploma of basic higher education (Bachelor diploma) with legalization (or apostille) and its sworn translation into Polish or translation made or certified by the right consul. If a document issued by a foreign country doesn’t have an annotation giving an Indian student the right to submit and use these documents for the process of admission to the Bachelor (certificate of basic secondary education) or Master programme (diploma of basic higher education), they should be supplemented with a proof providing an ability to use them in the Republic of Poland.

A proof providing an Indian student with an ability to use documents to be submitted to a university in Poland can be received in:

  • department of education and science of a country issuing the document
  • diplomatic representative offices accredited in the Republic of Poland, or consular department of a country issuing a diploma or a certificate
  • office of the Consul of the Republic of Poland in a country issuing the document
  1. Nostrification certificate

If a certificate of basic secondary education or a diploma of basic higher education received in India are not recognized in Poland and are not covered by the effect of international norms, you will have to make nostrification (process of recognition) of documents about education. If an Indian student doesn’t have a nostrification certificate during the process of admission to a university in Poland, he/she has to provide it by the end of the first term.

  1. Copy of a foreign passport of an Indian student (with original attached).
  2. Medical certificate stating that there are no contraindications for an Indian student to undertake education in a chosen field of study and form of education (intramural/extramural).

Important. Universities in Poland don’t require any particular certificates. That’s why a doctor’s decision, like “a prospective student is healthy and able to study in a university in Poland” will be enough. The only requirement is that it is necessary to specify a complete name of a university and the above-mentioned text in Polish (medical certificate).

  1. Copy of a disease and accident insurance policy covering the period of education in Poland, or the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

In case an Indian student doesn’t have an insurance policy during the process of admission to a university in Poland, he/she has to effect it as soon as possible in the National Life and Health Insurance Fund of the Republic of Poland (NFZ). If an Indian student has a student ID card, a monthly payment will be only about 40 $.

  1. Three photos not older than 6 months, size 35mm x45mm. Each photo should be signed up at the back with name, surname and the number of the passport, and one of them should also contain the address.
  2. Language certificates confirming the knowledge of a language of studies at least at B2 level according to “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: learning, teaching, assessment (CEFR) – European system of language education: learning, teaching, assessment (ESOKJ)”.

If to talk about Polish, an Indian student can prove its knowledge during an interview by Skype. But if he/she chooses English as a language of instruction, it will be necessary to provide an international certificate, which must be obtained in advance. These may be:

  • certificates issued by institutions belonging to the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) – ALTE Level 3 (B2), ALTE Level 4 (C1), ALTE Level 5 (C2); especially: First Certificate in English (FCE), Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), Business English Certificate (BEC) Vantage – at least Pass, Business English Certificate (BEC) Higher, Certificate in English for International Business and Trade (CEIBT).
  • Certificates of the following institutions:

a) Educational Testing Service (ETS)- especially: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – at least 87 points in the Internet-Based Test version (iBT); Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – at least 180 points in the Computer-Based Test version (CBT) with additional at least 50 points from Test of Spoken English (TSE); Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – at   least 510 points in the Paper-Based Test version (PBT) with additional at least 3,5 points from Test of Written English (TWE) and at least 50 points from Test of  Spoken English (TSE); Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)  – at least 700 points;

b) European Consortium for the Certificate of Attainment in Modern Languages (ECL),

c) City & Guilds, City & Guilds Pitman Qualifications, Pitman Qualifications Institute —especially certificates: English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) – First Class Pass at Intermediate Level, Higher Intermediate Level, Advanced Level;  International English for Speakers of Other Languages (IESOL) “Communicator” level, “Expert” level, “Mastery” level; City & Guilds Level 1 Certificate in ESOL International (reading, writing and listening) Communicator (B2) 500/1765/2; City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in ESOL International (reading, writing and listening) Expert (C1) 500/1766/4; City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in ESOL International (reading, writing and listening) Mastery (C2) 500/1767/6; Spoken English Test (SET) for Business — Stage B “Communicator” level, Stage C “Expert” level, Stage C “Mastery” level; English for Business Communications (EBC)— Level 2, Level 3;   English for Office Skills (EOS)— Level 2;

d) Edexcel, Pearson Language Tests, Pearson Language Assessments — especially: London Tests of English, Level 3 (Edexcel Level 1 Certificate in ESOL International); London Tests of English, Level 4 (Edexcel Level 2 Certificate in ESOL International); London Tests of English, Level 5 (Edexcel Level 3  Certificate in ESOL International);

e) Education Development International (EDI), London Chamber of Commerce and Industry Examinations Board – especially the following certificates: London Chamber of Commerce and Industry Examinations (LCCI) – English for Business Level 2, English for Business Level 3, English for Business Level 4; London Chamber of Commerce and Industry Examinations (LCCI) — Foundation Certificate for Teachers of Business English (FTBE); London Chamber of Commerce and Industry Examinations (LCCI) – English for Tourism Level 2 –  “Pass with Credit” level, “Pass with Distinction” level.

f) University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, British Council, IDP IELTS Australia – especially International English Language Testing System IELTS — over 6 points.

g) Unversity of Warsaw; Coordination Council on Certification of Language Proficiency;

h) telc GmbH, WBT Weiterbildungs-Testsysteme GmbH — especially: B2 Certificate in English — advantage, B2 Certificate in English for Business Purposes — advantage, Certificate in English for Technical Purposes (B2), telc English B2, telc English B2 Business, telc English B2 Technical, telc English C1;

Documents which also confirm knowledge of a foreign language are certificates, diplomas or other documents confirming completion of secondary school, where language of instruction was a language in which the candidate will study in Poland.

  1. Confirmation of payment for tuition fees in Poland for the first term.

As is clear from the above-mentioned information, payment for tuition fees is a key factor in the process of admission of an Indian student to a university in Poland (unless you are one of those who wants to study in Poland for free). On average the cost of studies in Polish is 500-2000 Euros per one term, in English – about 2000-12000 Euros. In case an Indian student has some good reasons, a chancellor of a university in Poland may make an exception for him/her by reducing the annual tuition fee.

  1. Confirmation of an application fee.

Indian students also have to pay one-time fees (for example, application fee) the amount of which can be different for each field of study. As for general application fees, they are not big: 85 PLN for state universities in Poland and 100 PLN for private ones.

  1. Translation of all documents into Polish for the purposes of admission.

In most cases translations are made by certified translators from the list of the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Poland. Documents translated or certified by the Consul General of the Republic of Poland working in a country issuing the documents are also accepted.

Important. All universities in Poland are annually examined by the appropriate supervisory committee of the Ministry of Education. If the committee thinks that your documents are translated inappropriately or they contain errors, you will probably have to translate them again, but with the help of a Polish translator.

Legalization of foreign documents

If an Indian student wants his/her documents to be valid abroad, he/she has to make consular legalization or put down apostille.


Apostilization – is one of legal ways to certify Indian documents, which are supposed to be used abroad. It has appeared as an alternative and universal procedure of confirming validity of foreign documents.

Unlike consular legalization in India, apostilization takes less time. In addition, apostilled documents may be used in different countries, instead of one.

Consular legalization

Consular legalization of official documents – is a procedure of confirming validity of originals or certifying genuineness of signatures of officials authorized to certify signatures put down on documents, as well as validity of stamps, seals affixed to a document.

Legalization of documents is made for countries that haven’t signed the Hague Convention on 05.10.1961, which cancels the requirement for legalization of official documents. To do this an Indian student has to go to an Indian authority responsible for legalization of documents meant to be used abroad (usually this includes Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Ministry of Education). Once you get necessary confirmation, you have to go the Consular Agency of Poland, where the document will be completely legalized.


Nostrification – is a procedure of recognition of a higher education diploma issued in a foreign country. Nostrification is mandatory when a diploma is obtained in a country that doesn’t have bilateral agreement with Poland about recognition of education as equivalent to the one obtained in Poland.

Nostrification certificates received outside the Republic of Poland shall be certified by the Head of the Authority of Education according to place of residence in India. If there is no such authority, it shall be certified in the Department of Justice.


Recommendations to Indian students from HindustanEducation.Com:

The validity period of a contract with each university in Poland is 3 years (period of Bachelor programe). Furthermore, each of them establishes an additional payment “for archivation” (data transfer into university archives). You will have to make this payment in case of early termination of a contract. Otherwise you will not get your documents back. During contract validity period universities don’t change the tuition fee. However, they may charge extra fee for a field of study.

So, be careful when reading a contract concluded at a special-offer price. In case of its early termination you will probably have to pay the difference, otherwise, there will be no grounds for returning your documents.

In private universities there might be situations when the group is not full by the beginning of the academic year, which means you may waste your time for the admission process to another university in Poland. For example, if an Indian student chooses a popular field of study or, vice verse, a new one, there is a strong possibility that the process of enrollment will not be processed, and the Accreditation Committee of the Ministry of Education in Poland will cancel accreditation for this field of study (except for termless permits). That’s why always ask about real opportunities, including number of prospective students per one place in order not to lose a chance to study in Poland.

If to talk about renting a place, don’t forget to conclude a rent contract. It is required for getting a temporary Card of the Pole. To avoid misunderstanding with a landlord when moving out (damage of furniture left after previous tenants), make as many photos as possible when moving in. But don’t forget about set up a date.

When you rent a place with someone (in order to save money), try to choose reliable, responsible and financially stable roommates, if you don’t want to pay for everything by yourself, of course.

We hope that information you found on HindustanEducation.Com made everything clear for an Indian student, in particular, how to get admitted to a university in Poland by yourself.


Did you like the article? Press “like” and share it with your friends.

comments powered by HyperComments

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (12 stars, mean: 5.00 from 5)
Translate »

Send this to a friend