Linguistics is a science of language. Linguists by their specificity are philologists. Specialists of this profile need to have profound and exhaustive knowledge of their language, foreign languages, including computer skills. The specialty applied linguistics is the profession of a new generation. Such specialists are needed in the field of developing computer programs, automatic translation, preparation of text, work with search engines, work with soft, that is linguistic support, linguistics and international relations.
Description of the profession
An applied linguist is the profession that arose in connection with the development of modern information and computer technologies. Such specialists are extremely in demand in the field of economic relations and intensification of business relations. The most important characteristic of a linguist is the profound knowledge of foreign languages at the professional level and the ability to use this knowledge when working with computer programs.
Specialists-linguists need to have phonemic hearing, semantic and logical memory, analytical skills, have a linguistic sense, figurative and logical thinking, have steady attention. You also need to know Ukrainian language and to have a professional level in English, French or German.
Specialists-linguists take part in the creation of textbooks on linguistics. In the field of advertising and public relations, linguists act as psychoanalysts and use skills of formulation, so that advertising slogans quickly settled in consciousness, are easy to memorize and cute. Linguists always work in teams of politicians and political parties where they deal with the processing of texts with speeches.
In addition to basic disciplines, linguists need to have knowledge of history, philosophy, psychology, economic theory and law. In the field of computer technology, linguists need to have the basics of programming, statistics, applied mathematics, databases and automated translation.
Prospects for employment
Applied linguists have an opportunity to hold positions as a:
- Communication manager;
- Referent (official, language consultant);
- Manager and director of international relations;
- Advertising area;
- Public and private institutions;
- Travel a
With the development of international communication, computer technology and the need for translation, the profession of applied linguist may require the implementation of a wide range of different responsibilities. The professional activity of such a specialist involves performing such functions as:
- Communication in English, German, French in organizations with economic, international and business activities.;
- Learning languages for practical use;
- Editing texts, checking (in native and foreign languages);
- Search for information, organization and management in the international communication system;
- Processing information in different languages using computer technology;
- Business correspondence, the publishing house of printed literature;
- Telecommunications, media and advertising;
- Search and development of innovative methods of studying foreign languages;
- Database maintenance, thesauri;
- Аanalysis and systematization of scientific and technical documentation;
- Development of software, databases for expert systems.
How to become an applied linguist
Bachelor of Philology, Applied Linguistics and English can work in the field of Applied Linguistics.
Specialist in linguistics studies such disciplines:
- Foreign languages (professional English is required);
- Additional foreign language;
- Written translation;
- Probability theory;
- Sociological linguistics and psycholinguistics;
- Mathematical linguistics;
- Linguistics and text styles;
- Morphological, semantic and syntactic evaluation of the text (automated);
- Machine translation;
- Comparative grammar and language history;
- Linguistic statistics;
- Structure of linguistics and modeling;
- Data in multimedia;
- Translation of scientific and technical type;
- Evaluation of the text (linguistic).